Friday, September 17, 2010

Honing the Edge


So many of my pieces begin with a plank; a planed slab of wood that has been saw cut. The raw material lends itself to shaping and carving, but it leaves alot to be desired when it comes to a finished looking edge.






Enter "The Router"


A manual feed table with a small high powered rotating head that allows for interchangable tips. The routing tip carves a precise and consistant shape along the edge.






The router that I use is mounted on a small stand so I can move it outdoors (it's loud!) and work safely around the table. I can control the depth and shape of the cuts, and just let the machine do the carving.





Many of my items retain a raw edge, but it's nice to have the option to create a frame with a router. Some are scorched, some are patterned---but all my edges are an important part of the piece.





1 comment:

jacquelynkyle said...

I love reading about your process!

Related Posts with Thumbnails