Friday, May 01, 2009

there's a hole in my sidewalk



Autobiography in Five Short Chapters

By Portia Nelson



I.

I walk down the street.

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.

I fall in.

I am lost

.... I am helpless.

It isn't my fault.

It takes forever to find a way out.


II.

I walk down the street.

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.

I pretend that I don't see it.

I fall in again.

I can't believe I am in this same place.

But, it isn't my fault.

It still takes a long time to get out.



III.

I walk down the same street.

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.

I see it is there.

I still fall in ...


it's a habit ...


but, my eyes are open.

I know where I am.

It is my fault.

I get out immediately.


IV.
I walk down the same street.

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.

I walk around it.


V.

I walk down another street



Explore this metaphor further at sidewalk


While sorting through some old boxes today, I found a lamanated copy of "Autobiography" It's easy to visualize the sidewalk and follow the thinking. The five short chapters are always printed in outline form, and it really caught my attention.

2 comments:

LadyK said...

I like it! I've never seen this before now. I'm going to check out the link you posted too.

Have a great weekend!

RadianTrace said...

Hi Carey Lynn. How do I contact you through email? You won the Dragonfly Pinky ring for my April blog Giveaway! Congratulations!

Related Posts with Thumbnails