Tuesday, September 15, 2009

the midnight dogfight

In the early hours of the morning, I woke up to some strange sounds from outside my bedroom window! At first I thought it was a wounded animal, possibly a fox. Then I realized it was a pack of wild dogs and they were attacking a much larger (or more ferocious) beast.

I looked through the window, and the moonlight was glowing. But I wasn't able to see any activity because of the tree cover. I noticed that the tree frogs and crickets were silent, however the gnashing went on for a few minutes.

After a very brief pause...a low howl.

Their prey had gotten away from them. And some of the growls and snarls that I heard could have been from coyotes. It's strange to have such wildlife drama being played out right underneath my nose---yet, I still don't know what happened.

My husband slept through the whole thing, and neither of my cats showed the least bit of interest. :)

1 comment:

mallie said...

Please be careful out there in the wilderness of the Wildwood!!
your MOM

Related Posts with Thumbnails