Monday, November 23, 2009

5 quarts of rum

New Caledonia
August 1942



Had to work in the mud up to our ankles. I worked with Bill Brown's Section will pull guard tonight. Last night I was drunk for the first time on the island & so was Weismmel, Dobek & Johnson. We drank around 5 quarts of Rum.

.



Mon, August 3, 1942

Today we moved all the tents about a mile from the mess hall. Tonight I am going up to "Blondie's" with Frank Layman to get my laundry. She is getting more friendly all the time. Her mother gave me a doz. eggs, which over here are very scarce. She showed us where the dog had bitten her.

Tues. Aug. 4, 1942

Today we worked most all day in the drizzling rain. Had a little argument with Sgt. Baronsby this morning. Worked with Robbie's gang up at the corral. I am on guard tonight from 10 to 2 on Post 2.

Wed. Aug 5, 1942 Recieved another letter last night dated on Feb. 21. It made me very happy, even if it was 5 months old.

Thurs. Aug. 6, 1942 Today we were paid. I rec'd $71.89 and I put $30 of it back into the finance.






________________________



This is Harry's War Diary.



Harry M. Haslam (1919 - 2007) was my father-in-law and we hope these postings will honor his contributions and sacrifices.


I'm left wondering if the $71.89 was for a month's wages?

When Harry called someone friendly...that was a good thing. He was comfortable around them, and wanted their company. Those who knew Harry well, remember his extroverted personality and quick humor.




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails