Thursday, November 19, 2009

the bulls eye

Solomon Islands
June 29, 1942

Today is an off day. Gig received 4 letters from home today. As yet, I haven't recieved any.

Tues. June 30, 1942

Today we took a trip to Noumea with the rifle **** but didn't get to use it, because the artillery was using it. Last night I saw "Call Out the Marines" with Vivian Mc Laglen & Edmund Lowe. Was really good but like all service pictures was mostly for infantry staff. Today is pay-day here and don't think any of the "G.I."s have been paid.



Wed. July 1, 1942

Today I was paid for the first time. "Gig" & I went to "Blondies" tonight. ****

Thurs. July 2, 1942

Today we went on the rifle-range in Noumea. This was the first time I had ever been on a rifle range. Had been on the basic range in Aberdeen. I didn't score assigned hit with the 1902 Springfield rifle, although I had a good score with the Grummans (8 shots) including the bulls eye. I also got 31 with the Tommy Gun. Arrived back in camp around 3 o'clock, cleaned our rifles & took a bath.



Friday, July 3, 1942

Today the ammo started coming in again, so I guess our little vacation is over for awhile.


Saturday, July 4, 1942

We unloaded more of the ammo today. They sent 7 flat cars of 18 pounders from the docks. Capt. Fredericks, Nobleman, Dobek & myself unloaded them. "Gig" & Jack Stuart were made P.F.C's today.


Sunday, July 5, 1942


We're unloading 25 pounders & 18 pounders today, which were made in Australia. I worked with Bill today. Heard today that we lost 4 battleships off the Hawaiian coast and that Guadalcanal fell. Nothing but bad news for the past month. I can't stand the navy British sometimes. They are not showing me a thing. I am smoking my new pipe today.







_________________________________



This is Harry's War Diary.



When parts of the handwriiten journal are illegible, I have replaced it with *****


Harry Haslam (1919 - 2007) was my husband's father and Harry served in WWII in New Caledonia and Guadalcanal. Jody & I are sharing this diary in memory of "Daddy"


Most of Harry's entries record his guard duty, his movie schedule, and his work at the ammo depot. The remarks about 'nothing but bad news' and 'they are not showing me a thing' are very much in character for Harry.




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails