Monday, November 16, 2009

a common occurance

New Caledonia, Solomon Islands
Saturday June 10, 1942

The rain is still going strong & our tent is one large mud hole. At noon Sgt. Desmond told us we would have to move our tent because they wanted all the sections together. We have to go & take our tent down & go & get another one way up in the transportation section & pitch it down on the creek bank. Tonight the section goes on guard again, and my turn is the 3rd shift from 2 to 6 A.M. on Post 2 in the 155 area.


Tues. June 16, 1942

We started the week off by building floors (roads) for the entire camp. The "Great Dictator" with Charlie Chaplin is playing in Noumea. This morning Pvt. Couse shot through his tent and it went past my tent into the creek where I was washing. Another close shave. This is getting to be a common occurance.

Saturday June 20, 42

Have another day off today because I pulled guard from 10 to 2 on Post 1. Cleaned my rifle this morning while Dobek was cleaning his, Pancho came back from the hospital this morning. The second time he has cracked a finger while working.


______________________________________________

This is Harry's War Diary.

Harry M. Haslam (1919 - 2007) was my husband's father and I dedicated most of my blog posting in November to honor his memory.

Strange coincidence in these entries that Harry gripes about moving the tent to the creek, then later is almost struck by a stray bullet at the creek.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails