Saturday, November 28, 2009

named him Smokey

New Caledonia
Mon. Sept 7, 1942






Today is "Labor Day". Kruse & I went on day shift from 8 A.M. to 4 P.M. "Gig" & Wynn has the 12 P.M. to 8 A.M. & Nothern & Layman has the 4 P.M. to 12 P.M.


Tues. Sept. 8, 1942


Since they were working in Areas 1 and 2 Sgt. Irwin said we could only use one guard, so I came back at 4:30 and Kruse stayed out all day.

Wed. Sept. 9, 1942


It starting raining around 2P.M. today and "Duke" was soaking wet when I brought him in. "Gig" has Jim now, and Wynn has Nick, while Bob is riding the wild horse that he broke in. We named him "Smokey" & he can run like a deer.



He had more bucks in him when we put the saddle on than he did when Bob got on him. It is now 8:30 P.M. & is coming down outside now. A bad night to pull guard.


Thurs. Sept, 10, 1942


Today I had off & spent most of the day re-writing my other diary. They are running a show truck into Pieta tonight.


Fri. Sept. 11, 1942


They had 2 shows at Pieta last night. The first was "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" with Maureen O'Hara and Charles Loughton & the other was Bob Burns in "Alias the Deacon". Rubel was made 2nd Sgt. yesterday & Ben Wynn shot right through the floor beside my bunk. It's a good thing I wasn't there. I had gone to "Blondie's" with Frank. Today Harry Falgo was made 1st Sgt. I have tonsilitis again but I am not going to the hosp. I have some Listerine & Chloroform lintiment that I am going to mop it out with.



Sun. Sept. 13, 1942


Today I am on guard from 8 A.M. to 7 P.M. (11 hours). I will have the 4 P.M. to 12 P.M. shift along with Frank Layman next week. Kruse will be roving man this week.


_____________________________


This is Harry's War Diary


Duke, Jim, Nick and Smokey were horses they used to move ammo. Harry's group proudly called themselves stable boys and did their best to keep the horses going.

It seems that Harry had 2 diaries that he was writing, and we later learn of a third. Probably this pocketsized journal was used for brief comments. It would be very interesting to find the other diaries he kept and compare them.

Harry tells us of yet another close call, this one down at the corral and by one of their buddies.

On Sept. 12th the Japanese prepare for a counterattack on high ground near Henderson field at Guadalcanal. The hill would later be called Bloody Ridge, where some of the most dramatic fighting took place.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails