Thursday, January 07, 2010

a guy whose name was Haslam

New Caledonia Hospital Ward
Nov. 1, 1942

There was a show tonight, but I couldn't go because I was a bed patient. I feel pretty well now. Frank & Wynn came out on the horses to see me.

Mon. Nov. 2, 1942

Capt. Miller said I could get up, so I am now getting my own meals at the mess hall. Tuck, Sydney, Sullivan & I usually go down together. Morris & Tubbs are our ward boys. "Gig" & Nothern came to visit today. "Gig" rode Duke out. They said we were going to the Solomons, and that half the company is leaving Saturday or Sunday. The other half will follow as soon as we get another Ord. company for relief. I knew it would happen sooner or later.

Tues. Nov. 3, 1942

Capt. Wisler brought my money out this morning. The amount was $19.34. He talked quite awhile with me & also told me to hurry up and get well as we are heading for the Solomons in a week or two (which I already knew). Went to the show tonight here at the hospital. The show was "You Can't Cheat an Honest Man" with W.C. Fields & Edgar Bergen & Charlie McCarthey. I had seen it back in the States 3 or 4 years ago.

Wed. Nov. 4, 1942

Feeling pretty good and Capt. Miller mopped out my throat with 10% silver nitrate. They have broken their two machines here so I can't get my tonsils out. "Sully" & I went over & played some ping-pong at the Recreation Tent. They also have a phonograph & books there.

Thurs. Nov. 5, 1942

Capt. Miller said I could go back to camp in the morning. He mopped it again with silver nitrate. Beat "Sully" in all but 2 games of ping-pong today. Went to the show with "Sully". We saw "I am Alive" with Kent Taylor & Evelyn Hayes. Was about stunt men in Hollywood and was very good picture, despite the name. They also had and Edgar Kennedy comedy.

Fri. Nov. 6, 1942

This morning I said my goodbyes to Sully, Newsome & Syd. I came back to camp with Henefie. "Sully" gave me the address for his brother in Guadalcanal & told me to look him up. I also got his & Newsome's addresses. Charlie Wolff & Tinsdale cameout to get their shots for their veneral disease. The have to take 2 shots on Mon. & one on Fri. A big price to pay for fooling around with diseased women. When I got back to the corral Frank was reading a story in a magazine about a guy whose name was Haslam (believe it or not). Bill has already gone down to base camp & Danny now has charge here. I hear that we might take our horses to the Solomons also. I'd hate to part with good ole Duke now.

_______________________________________

This is Harry's War Diary

Things are changing at New Caledonia, with support for the Marines and Navy fighting on Guadalcanal and the re-assignment for the army divisions. The news comes as no surprise for Harry and his Ordinance crew. They try to prepare for the relocation, and they hold onto the hope that their horses will go with them.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails