Monday, June 21, 2010

Storyteller - Wheelers Raid



Found between Triune and Nolensville in Middle Tennessee, this road marker recounts the 1862 troop movements around Rosecrans at the Battle of Murfreesboro. Wheeler's Raiders were well known in these parts during the Civil War, and they made a significant impact at the famous Battle of Murfreesboro.




I made note of 6 historical markers along the highway where I live, all within a 2 mile stretch. These signs are like Storytellers and I wanted to learn some local history and share it with my blog readers.



The Wheeler's Raid marker was listed on the Historical Marker Database with several "Wheeler's Raid Around Rosecrans" in Murfreesboro - but I was able to pinpoint any of the markers along Highway 31-41A.




I noticed that the Historical Marker Database allows users to submit new markers, and I will try to get these listed. There's also a way to report damaged or missing signs on their site. HMD has fast map creations and GPS services.


Each marker has a great story to tell us.




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails