Saturday, October 15, 2011

when I think




Beloved, my Beloved, when I think


that thou wast in the world a year ago,


What time I sat alone here in the snow


and saw no footprint, heard the silence sink


No moment at thy voice,... but, link by link,


when counting all my chains, as if that so


they never could fall off at any blow


Struck by thy possible hand...why,


thus I drink


of life's great cup of wonder!




Wonderful


Never to feel thee thrill the day or night


with personal act or speech - nor ever cull


some prescience of thee with the blossoms white


Thou sawest growing! Atheists are as dull


Who cannot guess God's presence out of sight.





-ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING






dedicated to my husband, Jody on our 26th Wedding Anniversary

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails