Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Why Men Don't Want Monograms


The popularity of monograms is nothing short of a firestorm in my circle of friends.  We can't get enough of the stylized, versatile tagging of our possessions!  The bright colors and the unusual placement of the logo-like symbol are a big part of the appeal of monograms.  The possibilities are endless.

I found that when you want to monogram everything, you assume everyone must want to follow this trend...  not so fast.  Men don't want it.  They bristle at the thought of flashing a monogram as if you asked them to wear panties!  A few exceptions were noted in the 'research' for this article:  men are probably ok with monogram on their toolbox.


Interesting that the monogram fashion was embraced by men in the past.  Shirt cuffs and collars were often customized with initials as a practical way to get your dress shirts back from the cleaners.  A small embroidery of 2 or 3 letters in a simple yet distinctive design of the characters was typical.

Do men see this as snobby or pretentious? yes.  Would they monogram if it were subtle or in a hidden place? no, it defeats the purpose of screaming for attention. Even if the average man embraced the flourished, elaborate designs and bright colors, the flamboyant nature of monograms is it's downfall.


So when did men fall out of love with monograms? Probably about the same time that women fell in head first. Maybe we overdid it (we often do).  But, we are not done yet...

My latest acquisition is a large, silver vinyl 'grammie' for my SUV, provided by InitialIt4Me on etsy.  For less than $10 I go this beautiful, custom embellishment delivered.  Placement, is of course, everything (ha) so I elected to use the drivers side third window. Since my Edge of the Wildwood vinyl sticker is on the rear window/top in a shiny silver, I wanted to match it in color.


It's so nice to be able to spot my Mariner in a parking lot, and it makes me smile to have my lovely logo so proudly displayed.  Men may regard it as juvenile and over-the-top, but I adore it.

More to consider:  chevron or polka dots?  That's a whole other can of worms!





1 comment:

rose of Walk in the Woods, LLC said...

What a fun read! I appreciate the research that went into this post and for the smiles, chuckles and laugh-out-louds that it inspired.

I'm looking forward to your future findings with respect to chevrons and polka dots!

And I LoVe your vinyl sticker too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails